11 September 2016

USA Board Meeting Agenda – September 11, 2016

A.     Call Meeting to Order: 12:01 EST

Present: Kenny Cason, Mark Atkinson, Patricia Wilton, Jill Cohan, Danielle Millett, Mike Schatz

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2016 wrap–up.
    1. Any lessons learnt?
      1. Directors need to be incredibly prepared, before the event. Yes, before the event.
      2. USA liaison needs to be in constant contact with the hosting organization and provide feedback and updates to the USA board. Having people in the loop with actual experience is invaluable.
      3. Continue strengthening the Google Docs event handbook, but experience trumps documentation.
      4. Inclusion of local participation adds excitement and promotes the sport. It helps all participants! Remember what it was like to attend your first NAUCC?
      5. Urban participation was low, probably because of Unicon, but need to keep an eye on it.
      6. Trials obstacles were particularly difficult given the skill levels of those who attended. Looking at the participant list should give direction on difficulty and if there should be a finals.
    2. UNICON 18 wrap-up.
      1. Celebrate the US successes! 2 World Champions – 15 Expert medals won (2 Gold, 12 Silver, 1 Bronze). Age group podium placements in various disciplines.
        1. Post experts on the USA Facebook page
        2. Add highlights to the USA web site
      2. Any lessons learnt?
        1. You can never have enough restrooms. Tru dat!
        2. Must have people at each event handling logistics and organizing the people, separate duties from the event director.
        3. There are questions about what the USA and IUF memberships provide to each member/club. There is a page on the USA web site that addresses this. Need to add information on our new programs. This is a recurring theme.
        4. There should also be information addressing benefits to the greater unicycling community in general (rider locator, etc).
      3. USA Programs
        1. Coaching Program. Application form is available on USA website.
          1. Currently using old USA letter head. Need to update.
          2. Patricia will send an email to the USA members to increase knowledge of this program.
        2. STEP (Start-up Equipment Program). Need new committee head to lead this initiative. Possible nominations?
          1. Information for the new committee lead is in Google Docs. Doesn’t have to be one person. Jill will take a look but no commitment at this time.
        3. Confirm budgets for 2016/17
          1. $5000 split between the two above programs already allocated. Nothing has been spent. Reassess next year at this time.
      4. Junior Officer Applications
        1. No applications received. Do we run this program in 2016/17?
          1. It’s challenging to feel engaged at a national level, especially in a virtual organization like USA.
          2. Table this for now, but possible areas for participation:
            1. Coaching program
            2. STEP
      5. OOW/Facebook
        1. Feedback from Annual Meeting?
          1. Not discussed.
        2. Discuss direction for both OOW and Facebook for this year
          1. OOW:
            1. Possible different format: what did you see on Facebook that was interesting? Summarize for those who missed it. What events are coming up? What are clubs up to in different areas of the country? Think “newsletter” instead of “novel”.
            2. This would be especially helpful for those who write the checks! Not everyone follows Facebook threads with any regularity. It could help justify to parents the investment in continued participation.
          2. Facebook:
            1. Need to post organically versus planned. Need more likes to build momentum.
            2. Patricia will make all USA board members able to post to the page. All board members should post as often as the muse inspires.
            3. Clubs should be encouraged to send info to USA board members to post. (events, parades, achievements, etc)

C.      New Business

  1. Objectives for 2016/17
    1. Membership: reach out to clubs that are not currently members
      1. Need a list of clubs
      2. Need volunteers to contact those clubs (Mike will organize, will coordinate with Wendy as the membership person)
      3. Mark will contact Amy Drummond at Unicycle.com to see if she is willing to include USA flyers in their shipments.
        1. Will have something ready for approval by next meeting, including a budget. Bennett Nestok (Harvard) is interested in providing content (cartoons, etc)
      4. National Unicycle Week? (when)
        1. Create a hash tag
        2. Newspaper/TV/Radio interviews
        3. Post a picture of you riding this week
        4. Post picture of clubs riding
        5. UDC and other retailers can use to promote
        6. Prompts us to draw attention to the sport and it’s benefits
      5. Need to get USA Rulebook amendments compiled and included in time for NAUCC. This is somewhat reliant on IUF Rulebook work but very doable regardless. Can work off the IUF draft if required.
      6. Successful NAUCC with our guidance and support. Success = organized and enjoyed by the vast majority.
      7. Choose a hosting club for NAUCC 2018.
    2. 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)
      1. Now: Garnering applications to host NAUCC 2018
      2. At least one more USA meeting before the end of the year (second week in December)
    3. NAUCC 2017
      1. Connie Cotter has volunteered to act as Board liaison. Any objections?
        1. Proposal was made and seconded. Approved.
        2. Make it so, engage!
      2. Possibly also invite NAUCC organizing lead to Board meetings for short report of status?
        1. SnoValley Unicycle Club – lead for NAUCC: Aaron Kinsella-Johnson
        2. Connie should also be included
        3. Direction: Board meetings, plus email status monthly or informal telecons
      3. USA equipment inventory and location tracker
        1. Need a list of what USA owns and where it is. Shawn is a good place to start. Connie should coordinate as liaison.
          1. Power cords
          2. Stop watches
          3. Track starting stands
          4. Canopies
          5. Safety vests
          6. Yada, yada, yada…
      4. IUF Rulebook Committee – Applications for participation open until 11th September
        1. For changes to the USA Rulebook this is the place to have your say.
        2. Example:
          1. Should muni cross country allow a “hike” uphill that constitutes more than half of the race? IMHO: This is a unicycling competition not a hiking contest.

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Mark Atkinson, President
    1. Invited to do a radio interview concerning unicycling for a station in California
  2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
  3. Kenny Cason, Secretary
  4. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
    1. Financials: more $$ than we had last month. Scholarship $$ is available for next year. Signs for NAUCC were paid for.
  5. Jill Cohan, Director
  6. Wendy Grzych, Director
  7. David Panofsky, Director
  8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
    1. Also happy to be the IUF liaison! Everything is awesome; everything is cool when you’re part of a team. J
  9. ???, OOW
  10. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
    1. Enabling email addresses for the eight USA voting positions
  11. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
  12. Max Schulze, Scholarship Committee Chair
    1. Need a new chair for this position.
      1. Amanda is nominated and seconded.
      2. Voted and approved!

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. NAUCC 2018 – bids for host by Jan 2017
      1. RTUC is interested
  2. Anything else?
    1. Next Unicon is in Seoul, South Korea

G.     Meeting Adjourned: 13:45 EST