Author Archives: markatkinson

2019 USA Annual Meeting

USA Annual Board Meeting Minutes – July 11, 2019
Northside Aztlan Community Center, Fort Collins, CO

A.     Call to Order – 6:11pm MDT

B.     Affirmation of Officers

  • President – Open
  • Vice President – Open
  • Secretary – Dale Grzych
  • Treasurer – Open
  • Director – Open
  • Director – Rick Tharrett
  • Director – Open
  • Director – Open
  • Director – Open

C.     Election of New Officers

  1. President
    1. Dave Crack nominated
      1. Dave Crack President
  2. Vice President
    1. Jill Cohen nominated
    2. Noli Ergas nominated but declined
      1. Jill Cohen Vice President
  3. Treasurer
    1. Dani Chevalier nominated
      1. Dani Chevalier Treasurer
  4. Directors
    1. Shannon Sparks, Richard Tharrett, Phil Sanders, Nancy Kinsella, Connie Cotter, Noli Ergas nominated
      1. Shannon Sparks, Richard Tharrett, Phil Sanders, Nancy Kinsella, Connie Cotter, Noli Ergas Directors
      2. Nancy will be filling Aaron’s remaining year as director.
      3. Two new director positions created

D. Financial Overview of 2018-2019

  1. Balance as of June 30, 2018 – $22,059.70
  2. Balance current – $19,570.50
  3. Balance of scholarship – $2,489.20
  4. Total membership roughly around 750

E.     Achievements in the last year

  1. New membership system introduced in January 2019
  2. New USA-affiliated clubs
    1. Douglas City Unicyclists, California
    2. The Unicycle Club at Ohio State University
  3. New Flatland Levels
  4. Inter-Club Meetings
    1. Regular meetings for USA affiliated clubs to share information and ideas continue
  5. IUF Rulebook Committee concluded
  6. Updated IUF Rulebook (will be published soon)
  7. NAUCC 2019
    1. HUGE THANKS to Kristen Goldstein and Dylan Canfield for organizing!

F.     2019-2020 Goals

  1. Rulebook committee
    1. Revise bylaws in regards to USA Directors
    2. With the IUF Rulebook committee recently concluded, this will include a review of our USA-specific Rulebook and possible renaming of our National Competition
  2. NAUCC 2020
    1. Bids for next NAUCC open in December 2019

G.     Upcoming Events

  1. Unicon 20 in Grenoble, France  July 22nd – August 2nd
  2. NAUCC 2020 in Madison, Wisconsin hosted by Mad Uni  June 27th – July 3rd!

H.     Questions for the board from USA members

  1. How can we go about spreading awareness for future NAUCC’s?
  2. In the future can acommodations be provided for those less fortunate who are unable to attend NAUCC?
  3. Can surveys be sent to USA members to better understand the wants and needs of members?
  4. How can we decrease the workload on Connie and Robin during NAUCC?
  5. How can we make USA membership more attractive?
  6. Can the USA promote more muni events and other non-club activities?

I.      Meeting adjourned at 7:??pm MDT

 

2 June 2019

A.     Call Meeting to Order   10:02am EDT

Present: Mary Koehler, Jill Cohen, Richard Tharrett, Dale Grzych, Mark Atkinson

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2019
    1. Current status? Any help needed?
      1. Marathon has a max number of 50 competitors.
      2. Currently $400 short of budget. Can USA cover it if there is a loss?
        1. Formal vote to assist NAUCC up to $500 in the event that they need a safety net.
          1. Passed.
        2. Vote for funds to repair track stands (~$120) and purchase new canopy (~$120)
          1. Vote to pay $240 for equipment upkeep.
        3. Expert T-shirts. Vote required for approval of funds.
          1. Possibly trimming down the number of expert shirts.
          2. Vote for $500 dollar budget.
            1. Passed
              1. Can be looked at later if need be.
      3. USA events at NAUCC
          1. USA meeting – Northside Aztlan Community Center Thursday 11th July at 6pm
            1. Board member needed to run meeting
              1. Mike is willing to lead however he feels an officer should be present.
            2. Need Membership and Treasurers annual reports for presentation and filing
          2. Freestyle level tester meeting?
            1. No freestyle level tester meeting.
          3. Interclub meeting?
            1. No interclub meeting.
          4. Scholarship presentation at final party? Fossil Creek Park Saturday 13th July at 5pm
    2. Possible nominations for USA Board positions?
      1. President
      2. Vice-President
      3. Treasurer
      4. Director (x2)
    3. New Membership site
      1. Any issues with transition to Wild Apricot? Mike
        1. No issues.
      2. Automatic renewals update? Mike
        1. Currently on the list of things to do.
      3. USA member map from Wild Apricot database
        1. Vote to approve use of USA credit card to set up Google account
          1. No money will be taken out unless we hit a certain number of hits on the site, a number we are not likely to hit.
          2. Vote passed.
    4. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC
      1. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (now deferred to 2020) Info
        1. IUF rulebook is looking to be done in the fall, plenty of time before next NAUCC.
    5. USA Programs
      1. Any coaching trips planned? Patricia
        1. Something planned for next fall.
          1. Spread awareness of the coaching trip at NAUCC.
    6. Membership Initiative
      1. Non-USA club outreach
        1. Request to add all/any clubs here
      2. USA club outreach
        1. Plans for inter-club meeting? Hold at NAUCC? Danielle
          1. No, will be held in fall.
    7. New USA Levels
      1. What else is needed (certificates, badges/stickers, videos?) before this is rolled out? Dale
      2. Formal vote to adopt levels needed. Dale
        1. Dale will be keeping track of level testers and run tester meetings.
          1. Dale will also be working on a sheet for the USA rulebook that is similar to the USA Skill Levels.
        2. Formal vote $150 to buy stickers for levels.
    8. Freestyle Levels
      1. IUF certification/re-certification requirements. Need to either align with IUF or make USA-specific. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (now deferred to 2020) Info
      2. Freestyle Level Cert cards now updated. Can they be made available to the clubs through Wild Apricot? Mike
    9. Freestyle Level Tester Meeting? Hold at NAUCC? Patricia
      1. No meeting this year.
    10.  Scholarship
      1. Nominations for Scholarship committee members and meetings at NAUCC? Jill
    11. Track racing cut times. Any progress on developing these? Rick
      1. No progress.

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. IUF/USA Rulebook Committees (now deferred to 2020)
  2. Investigate alternate vendors (to reduce costs) and possible expansion of member benefits
  3. NAUCC equipment. Is there a better long-term plan to support NAUCC event organizers?

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Mark Atkinson, President
  2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
  3. Dale Grzych, SecretaryMary Koehler, Treasurer
  4. Jill Cohan, Director
    1. Most likely June 27th – July 3rd for NAUCC 2020
  5.  Aaron Johnson, Director
  6. Rick Tharrett, Director
  7. Suggestion to add a place to donate to the scholarship while doing membership.
  8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
  9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
  10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
  11. Jill Cohan, Scholarship Committee Chair 2018

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. NAUCC 2019- July 7-13 , Fort Collins, Colorado

F.      Anything else?

G.     Meeting Adjourned

 

24 March 2019

USA Board Meeting Agenda– March 24, 2019

A.     Call Meeting to Order 9:59am EDT

Present: Mark Atkinson, Jill Cohen, Mike Schatz, Richard Tharrett, Dylan Canfield, Dale Grzych, Mary Koehler, Aaron Johnson

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2019
    1. Current status? Any help needed?
      1. 135 competitors registered and 31 non competitors as of right now.
      2. Most venues are secured, and the only events still not locked in right now is the road events.
      3. Matt Dewitt is planning on driving to Colorado with the equipment and Madison would like to take the equipment back with them for 2020.
        1. Dylan will be contacting Matt to figure out what equipment he will have available.
  2. New Membership site
      1. Any issues with transition to Wild Apricot? Mike
        1. No issues! Many new members!
        2. So far TCUC is the only club using the website as their primary membership system.
          1. Very helpful for membership fees, email lists, and plenty of other benefits.
        3. Possibility to offer automatic renewals?
          1. This is something we could likely offer with the system, but we have not done that in the past. Mike is going to dive into this a bit and get back to us.
        4. USA member map from Wild Apricot database
          1. Once again Mike is going to take a look into this more in the coming month and get back to us.
  3. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC
    1. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (now deferred to 2020) Info
  4. USA Programs
    1. Any coaching trips planned? Patricia
  5. Membership Initiative
    1. Non-USA club outreach
      1. Request to add all/any clubs here
    2. USA club outreach
      1. Feedback from last USA hosted inter-club meeting? Danielle
        1. Meeting went well, 10 people from 8 different clubs, largest meeting yet!
        2. There were questions about a unicycling event calander to make it easier to know of upcoming events.
          1. There have been attempts to organize this in the past but it seems to have dropped off.
          2. It’s a possibility to use the new wild apricot system, but there is a large workload on Mike.
        3. Lots of talk on finding and funding gym space as well as keeping members around and engaged.
        4. NAUCC is likely to be the next meeting.
  6. New USA Levels
      1. What else is needed (certificates, badges/stickers, videos?) before this is rolled out? Dale
        1. Slight setback, hard drive data was lost of video.
        2. Sticker designs are in, certificates will likely be similar to freestyle levels.
        3. Dale will work on tester cards.
        4. Only levels 1-5 will be on video to start.
      2. Formal vote to adopt levels needed. Dale
  7. Freestyle Levels
    1. IUF certification/re-certification requirements. Need to either align with IUF or make USA-specific. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (now deferred to 2020) Info
    2. Freestyle Level Cert cards now updated. Can they be made available to the clubs through Wild Apricot? Mike
      1. Mike will be looking into this and will get back to us at the next meeting.
    3. Freestyle Level Tester Meeting (in Spring?) Patricia
  8.  Scholarship
    1. Scholarship Chairperson required for 2019
      1. Attempts to get a chairperson have been unsuccessful. The chairperson’s job would be to form a committee together to determine who would win the scholarship. They would need to contact the treasurer and get funds as well as accept donations.
      2. Possibly give this responsibility to a board member? It could help streamline communication.
        1. Could make fundraising somewhat difficult.
      3. There haven’t been any major attempts to get sponsorships from and major corporations. Is this something we could look into for the future?
      4. Add in an option to donate to the scholarship fund via the wild apricot site?
      5. Jill is willing to be the chairperson for this year, it will be passed along next year.
      6. A lot of talk about the USA potentially starting to donate to the fund. As we’re already operating in the red, it’s not likely to happen now but is something we could look into going forward.
      7. Mary as treasurer is unable to be on the committee to help select the scholarship winner as Greta will be applying this year. Danielle Millet will most likely be standing in.
  9. Track racing cut times. Any progress on developing these? Rick
    1. Still in the works, more news will come next meeting.

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. IUF/USA Rulebook Committees (now deferred to 2020)
  2. Investigate alternate vendors (to reduce costs) and possible expansion of member benefits
  3. NAUCC equipment. Is there a better long-term plan to support NAUCC event organisers?
    1. Possibly invest into a pod that could be stores year round and shipped to each NAUCC. Price would be around 350-500 annually.
    2. This is something we can build on going forward as the USA acquires more equipment.
  4. Open Board positions for 2019-2020
    1. Patricia’s, Mark’s, Jill’s, Danielle’s, Patricia’s, and Mary’s positions will be available.
    2. President, Vice President, Treasurer. and 2 director positions.

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Mark Atkinson, President
  2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
  3. Dale Grzych, Secretary
  4. Mary Koehler, Treasurer
  5. Jill Cohan, Director
  6. Madison is thinking of potentially hosting for Unicon 2022
  7. Aaron Johnson, Director Happy Birthday Aaron!!
  8. Rick Tharrett, Director
  9. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
  10. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
  11. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
  12. TBD, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. Mad Muni – April 25-28, Madison, Wisconsin
    2. ‘Ride a unicycle day’ – May 19.
    3. National Unicycle Week – May 19-25
    4. NAUCC 2019- July 7-13 , Fort Collins, Colorado

F.      Anything else?

G.     Meeting Adjourned

 

 

27 January 2019

USA Board Meeting Agenda– January 27, 2019

A.     Call Meeting to Order 6:14pm EST

In attendance: Dale Grzych, Mary Koehler, Danielle Millett, Kirsten Goldstein, Aaron Johnson, Jill Cohen, Patricia Wilton, Mark Atkinson

B.      Old Business NAUCC 2019

  1. Current status? Any help needed?
    1. Leadership change, Dylan Canfield and Kirsten Goldstein are the new program directors.
    2. Event location is now in Fort Collins instead of Greeley.
    3. A lot of pushback from some schools worried about damage to their facilities. However there is a charter school in the area that is a possibility.
    4. Venues are concerned about damage to floors. Perhaps start a portfolio demonstrating good standing with venues we’ve rented from to prove no damage to floors?
    5. Registration is close to launching! Hoping to go live on February 1st.
    6. Dates are July, 7-13th (Sunday – Saturday).
    7. $95 for early registration.
    8. Acquiring venues using the USA name to get venues as a nonprofit.
    9. Contacting sponsors is beginning soon.
    10. The USA board is here to support Kirsten and Dylan.
  2. New Membership site
    1. Any issues with transition to Wild Apricot? Mike
      1. System is running well, members are registered
      2. TCUC has membership running on there already, SVUC is working on it as well.
      3. As of now, there is a ‘grey period’ that allows people 60 days for renewal. It is currently causing issues in the system.
        1. Proposal to remove 60 day grace period.
          1. Passed.
        2. Site can use emailing and grouping members for things like making certain members primary contacts for clubs.
  3. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC
      1. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
  4. USA Programs
    1. Any coaching trips planned yet? Patricia
      1. No trips planned currently.
        1. Perhaps in summer a trip might be happening in Pittsburgh.
  5. Membership Initiative
    1. Non-USA club outreach
      1. Request to add all/any clubs here
    2. USA club outreach
      1. USA hosted inter-club meetings. Any help needed for next meeting? Danielle
        1. Next date is being moved from next weekend (super bowl weekend) to the next 2 weeks.
  6. New USA Levels
      1. What else is needed (certificates, badges/stickers?) before this is rolled out? Dale
        1. Ryman Lollar designed stickers as the “patches” for the flatland levels. Dale will work on pricing and sizing of them in the coming weeks.
        2. Dale is putting together video overviews of the levels for either testers to use to be certified or riders to use to more clearly see how tricks are done.
      2. Formal vote to adopt levels needed. Dale
  7. Freestyle Levels
    1. IUF certification/re-certification requirements. Need to either align with IUF or make USA-specific. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
    2. Updating Freestyle Level Cert cards Patricia/ Wendy
      1. Patricia will be contacting Wendy to get this back on track.

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. 2018/9 Priorities
    1. Insurance. Investigate alternate vendors (to reduce costs) and possible expansion of member benefits
      1. Still looking.
    2. IUF/USA Rulebook Committees
      1. IUF is having issues and we’re most likely not in a position to get the USA Rulebook updated before the 4 month cut off. Perhaps form a committee to get this done without IUF getting their rules set up.
        1. Primarily dealing with the issue of riders not from North America and how it’s currently being dealt with.
        2. Clarifying the rules not changing them.
    3. Scholarship Chair?
      1. Nominations from TCUC but nothing followed up.
    4. Freestyle Level Tester Meeting (in Spring?)
    5. Track racing cut times
      1. Richard is currently working on them hopefully should be up for next meeting.
    6. NAUCC 2020 location
      1. Vote for NAUCC 2020 to be hosted by Madison.
      2. Jill would like for it to be July 5th-12th, 2020.

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Mark Atkinson, President
  2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
  3. Dale Grzych, Secretary
  4. Mary Koehler, Treasurer
  5. Jill Cohan, Director
  6. Aaron Johnson, Director
  7. Rick Tharrett, Director
  8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
  9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
  10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
  11. TBD, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. Mondo – Feb 8-10
    2. ‘Ride a unicycle day’ – May 19.
    3. National Unicycle Week – May 19-25
    4. NAUCC 2019- July 7-13th, Fort Collins, Colorado

F.      Anything else?

Next meeting add equipment transport discussion for next meeting.

G.     Meeting Adjourned

 

16 December 2018

USA Board Meeting Agenda– December 16, 2018

A.     Call Meeting to Order 10:01am EST

In attendance: Jill Cohan, Mark Atkinson, Dale Grzych, Danielle Millet, Mike Schatz, Mary Koehler, Richard Tharett

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2019
    1. Current status? Any help needed?
      1. Jay has several members assisting him with the various disciplines.
      2. Some venues are unable to commit to NAUCC dates. Dates are still not locked in as a result of this.
      3. 24 Danish freestyle team is looking to spend a week in Madison before NAUCC and attending NAUCC if the dates are locked in.
  2. New Membership site
    1. Need Board approval approve for annual spend ( ~$1,800/year) on new membership site hosted by Wild Apricot
      1. Will take a couple weeks of work before it could be up and running, no vote has taken place so no action taken yet.
      2. If the board chooses to use the new site, we will be at an annual deficit.
      3. Possibility of increasing membership prices in the future to account for it in the future?
        1. Formal vote to move to the Wild Apricot site and increase the membership costs 5$ per individual and 10$ per family in the future if needed to account for it.
      4. Mike has set a goal of getting it up and running by the end of the year.
  3. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC
    1. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
      1. Currently no word on the IUF committee.
  4. USA Programs
    1. Coaching Program. Need approval of $1,500 for this year’s budget. Patricia
      1. Pittsburg police officer wants to open a club for the kids in her area. If their group is to become affiliated with the USA, it would be acceptable to use coaching funds to assist them in setting up a club.
      2. Formal vote to approve $1500 budget in 2019.
  5. Membership Initiative
    1. Non-USA club outreach
      1. Request to add all/any clubs here
    2. USA club outreach
      1. USA hosted inter-club meetings. Proposed date for next meeting? Danielle
      2. Next meeting is set for February 3rd at 8PM EST. Contact Danielle via email at president@uniusa.org for more dial-in details.
  6. New USA Levels
    1. Proposed new flatland levels are here. Need to upload these to the USA website. Dale/Mike
    2. Formal vote to adopt levels needed. Dale
      1. Coming back to this in a month. More time is needed to set up patches for levels.
  7. Freestyle Levels
    1. IUF certification/re-certification requirements. Need to either align with IUF or make USA-specific. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
    2. Updating Freestyle Level Cert cards Patricia/ Wendy

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. 2018 Priorities
    1. Insurance. Investigate alternate vendors (to reduce costs) and possible expansion of member benefits
    2. IUF/USA Rulebook Committees
    3. Scholarship Chair?
    4. Freestyle Level Tester Meeting (in Spring?)
    5. Track racing cut times

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Mark Atkinson, President
  2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
  3. Dale Grzych, Secretary
  4. Mary Koehler, Treasurer
  5. Jill Cohan, Director
    1. Unicon will not be in Italy. At this time it is looking to be in France or Germany. and Madison has Madfest coming up in January. Muni weekend is ?
  6. Aaron Johnson, Director
  7. Rick Tharrett, Director
    1. NAUCC equipment?
  8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
  9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
  10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
  11. TBD, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. Tundracon – Jan 5-6, 12-13
    2. Mondo – February 8-10
    3. ‘Ride a unicycle day’ – May 19
    4. National Unicycle Week – May 19-25
    5. NAUCC 2019- July ???, Greeley, Michigan

F.      Anything else?

  1. Jill made a formal request for Madison to host 2020. There are plans to get the word out that other clubs/individuals are able to host as well to give everyone a chance.
  2. Next meeting set for Jan 27th.

H.     Meeting Adjourned

16 September 2018

USA Board Meeting Agenda – September 16, 2018

A.     Call Meeting to Order 10:10am EDT

In attendance: Danielle Millet, Mary Koehler, Aaron Johnson, Mark Atkinson, Dale Grzych, Jill Cohen

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2018 wrap–up.
    1. Great job! Any lessons learnt?
      1. Medals are still need to be sorted out, equipment is MIA.
      2. Facebook updates were very helpful. There were issues with the new app.
      3. Awards shouldn’t be rescheduled last minute without quality communication.
    2. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC
      1. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
    3. USA Programs
      1. Coaching Program. Need approval of $1,500 for this year’s budget. Patricia
    4. Membership Initiative
      1. Non-USA club outreach
        1. Request to add all/any clubs here
        2. USA promotion via other unicycle distributors? Jill
          1. Jill is continuing to work on this, it will be removed from future agendas.
      2. USA club outreach
        1. USA hosted inter-club meetings. Feedback from meeting at NAUCC 2018?
          1. Issues getting people into the calls. Contact Wendy to get contact info.
    5. New USA Levels
      1. Proposed new flatland levels are here. Need to upload these to the USA website. Dale/Mike
        1. http://uniusa.org/flatland-levels/
        2. Dale is working on making a set of videos of the levels up to level 5. These will also be used to train coaches online.
      2. Were coached trained at NAUCC? Who is recording who they are? Dale
        1. Just Danielle, Dale is recording who they are for now.
      3. Formal vote to adopt levels needed. Dale
        1. Still more work to be done, tabled for now.
    6. Freestyle Levels
      1. IUF certification/re-certification requirements. Need to either align with IUF or make USA-specific. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
      2. Updating Freestyle Level Cert cards Patricia/ Wendy

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. 2018 Priorities
    1. NAUCC 2019
      1. July 7-13th.
      2. Track and gyms are reserved. Northridge high school.
      3. Email is going out to board members of temporary schedule.
      4. Working with local riders like Noli Ergas to help with organization.
      5. Locating USA equipment is an issue. Aaron will be looking into getting a pod to send to future NAUCC’s.
    2. New Membership site
      1. Currently we don’t have the income to support the new site.
      2. Raise membership 5$ to pay for new site?
      3. Insurance. Investigate alternate vendors (to reduce costs) and possible expansion of member benefits
        1. Possibility of adding unicycle insurance for USA members? spokeinsurance.com
      4. IUF/USA Rulebook Committees
      5. Scholarship Chair?
        1. Needs to be decided by March. Committee members should think of someone for this position.
      6. Freestyle Level Tester Meeting (in Spring?)
      7. Track racing cut times
        1. Jill has a system that she will be sending out that could possibly be used

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

    1. Mark Atkinson, President
    2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
    3. Dale Grzych, Secretary
      1. New York Parade with unicyclists from all clubs.
        1. 2017 wasn’t promomoting unicycling in a positive manner, 2018 was close, the parade is by invitation only and conversations dried up as of now. Costs would be on participants.
        2. Typically discussed in Spring.
    4. Mary Koehler, Treasurer
    5. Jill Cohan, Director
      1. No current host for Unicon 2020.
    6. Aaron Johnson, Director
    7. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
    8. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
    9. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
    10. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. Mondofest – February ???
    2. ‘Ride a unicycle day’ – May 19.
    3. National Unicycle Week – May 19-25
    4. NAUCC 2019- July 7-13th , Greeley, Colorado

F.      Anything else?

  1. Mark will be working on an approximate schedule for future meetings.

G.     Meeting Adjourned

2018 USA Annual Meeting

USA Annual Meeting – July 12, 2018
Tipton Academy, Garden City, MI

A.      Call Meeting to Order: 8:??pm EDT

B.      Affirmation of Officers

  • President: Mark Atkinson
  • Vice President: Danielle Millett
  • Secretary: Dale Grzych
  • Treasurer: Mary Koehler
  • Director: Jill Cohen (1 year remaining)
  • Director: Wendy Grzych (stepping down)
  • Director: Arron Johnson (2 years remaning)
  • Director: Patricia Wilton (1 year remaining)

C.      Election of Officers

  • President: Mark Atkinson – moved, seconded, confirmed
  • Vice President: Danielle Millett – moved, seconded, confirmed
  • Secretary: Dale Grzych – moved, seconded, confirmed, voted, passed
  • Treasurer: Mary Koehler – moved, seconded, confirmed, voted, passed
  • Director: Rick Tharrett – moved, seconded, confirmed, voted, passed

Thanks to outgoing USA Board member Wendy Grzych (Director) for her time and support!

D.      2017-2018 Achievements

  • USA now offers free membership for children in a free/reduced school lunch program
  • Coaching Scheme – Two trips made by coaches to USA Affiliated clubs
        1. Dale visited Snoqualmie, Rachel visited Black Hills.
  • Inter-Club Meetings – Regular meetings for USA Affiliated clubs to share information and ideas
        1. Non-affiliated clubs are welcome to interclub meetings.
  • Flatland Levels completed and ready for publication
        1. Expected to be voted in next USA meeting.
        2. Mike Schatz has them posted on the USA website currently.
  • Old USA Newsletters (1974-1982) and On One Wheel (1983-1992) scanned available and on the USA website
        1. Uni mags are PDF files online, can search for keywords.
  • Most Nationals results 1973 to-date available and on the USA website
  • NAUCC 2018!

E.      2018-19 Goals

  • Complete archiving old On One Wheels and Nationals results
  • New Membership site platform being investigated
        1. The site will also have the ability to keep track of everyone’s level progression as well.
  • Rulebook Committee – apart from reviewing the IUF Rulebook, this will include a review of our USA-specific Rulebook and possible renaming of our National Competition
  • NAUCC 2019!

F.      Upcoming Events

  • Unicon 19 in Seoul, South Korea from July 29 to August 10th, 2018
      1. Good Luck everyone!!
  • Possible opportunity for the USA to ride in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York. Discussions with the parade organisers are ongoing.
        1. Meetup of several clubs to participate together.
  • NAUCC 2019 in Greeley, Colorado hosted by Jay Shaeffer
      1. Dates TBD, probably the week after the 4th of July

G.      Meeting adjourned at 8:??pm EDT

24 June 2018

USA Board Meeting Agenda– June 24th, 2018

A.     Call Meeting to Order 10:05 EDT

In attendance: Mary Koehler, Patricia Wilton, Mark Atkinson, Aaron Johnson, Danielle Millett, Jill Cohen, Mike Schatz, Amanda Grzych

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2018
    1. Status report and discussion. Help needed? Amanda
      1. All venues secured apart from track, but have two track options so high confidence.
      2. Request to confirm who is bringing USA equipment. Aaron bringing some stuff, other equipment with TCUC. MadUni has hockey nets. Amanda to email to Mike requesting what she needs brought to Livonia.
      3. Speed trials added to the schedule late. Will be Monday morning.
      4. There will be a projector at the freestyle judging workshop.
      5. Source of sound system for gym and cones for criterium still TBD.
      6. Credit cards will be accepted at Registration.
      7. USA Board needs to approve NAUCC waiver. Amanda to forward.
      8. Question re Monday schedule overlap awards vs club practice. Amanda to check.
      9. When is open practice? Amanda to confirm.
      10. Amanda will not be competing.
      11. USA Board requests Amanda inventory USA equipment and record storage location at end of NAUCC. Vote for Jill to spend $50 on labels to identify USA equipment approved.
      12. Vote to approve $300 for Registration and Volunteer banners approved. Rick Tharrett to procure prior to NAUCC start.
    2.  Scholarship
      1. Applications received. Status of plans to form Scholarship committee? When and where will it meet? Amanda
        1. Six applications received. Scholarship fund balance approx. $3000. Proceeds of the NAUCC raffle will go to the fund and TCUC will match first $500.
        2. Dave Lollar has agreed to be on committee. No reply from Dave Moscoe or Nancy Kinsella. Mark to send phone numbers for Amanda to follow-up.
        3. Copies of applications will be sent out to all committee members prior to the Scholarship committee meeting for their review and ratings.
        4. Date and time of Scholarship committee meeting TBD. Amanda can step out of work at lunchtime if needed.
        5. Amanda stepping down as Scholarship chair. Suggestions for likely candidates for this vacant position discussed. Perhaps a previous-years Scholarship beneficiary?
    3. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC
      1. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
    4. USA Programs
      1. Coaching Program. Need proposal for next year’s budget. Patricia
        1. Agreed to $1,500 as budget placeholder. Will be formally voted and approved in next fiscal year.
    5. Membership Initiative
      1. Non-USA club outreach
        1. Request to add all/any clubs here All
        2. USA promotion via other unicycle distributors? Jill
        3. Vote to put UDC logo on website as a USA supporter approved.
      2. USA club outreach
        1. USA hosted inter-club meetings.
          1. Report from May 20th meeting? Danielle
            1. Four clubs (Davidson, RTUC, Berkeley and Butler Wobble) represented at meeting. Good exchange of info and was helpful.
          2. Any help required for next meeting (9th July @ 3pm) at NAUCC? Danielle
            1. Danielle to ask Wendy to email her club contacts prior to the meeting to advertise this opportunity and promote attendance.
    6. Facebook/Website/Media
      1. Currently scanning old Newsletters and OWW’s (1971 to 2009) to archive and make available to all on USA website. Info
        1. NAUCC results for most years now linked on ‘Past NAUCC’s’ page
    7. New USA Levels
      1. Proposed new flatland levels are here. Ready to announce at NAUCC? Formal vote to adopt levels needed. Dale
        1. Dale not present so formal vote to approve deferred. Will be revealed as ‘in the works’ at Annual Meeting.
        2. When is flatland judging workshop at NAUCC?
        3. Suggestion to poll competitors during trials event to get their opinions on levels.
    8. Unicon t-shirts
      1. Order placed. T-shirts will be ready in time for NAUCC collection. Info
    9. Freestyle Levels
      1. IUF certification/re-certification requirements. Need to either align with IUF or make USA-specific. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
      2. Updating Freestyle Level Cert cards Patricia/ Wendy
    10. Open positions for 2019 USA Board
      1. Wendy to step down as Director in July – nominations for a replacement? All
        1. Various possible candidates discussed. Bring nominations to USA Annual Meeting.

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. USA Annual Meeting July 12th @ 8pm
    1. Need membership and finance details for presentation Mary/Mike
      1. Current financials and membership numbers for presentation received.
    2. Proposal to migrate membership site to outsourced third-party software Mike
      1. Mike has explored several vendors but Wild Apricot is the preferred choice right now.
      2. Vote to fund Mike for two months to continue validation with Wild Apricot or other vendors approved.

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

    1. Mark Atkinson, President
    2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
    3. Dale Grzych, Secretary
    4. Mary Koehler, Treasurer
    5. Jill Cohan, Director
    6. Wendy Grzych, Director
    7. Aaron Johnson, Director
    8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
    9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
    10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
    11. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. NAUCC 2018- July 8-14, Livonia, Michigan
    2. Unicon 19 – July 29- Aug 10 2019 Seoul, South Korea (link)
    3. LAUCC (Latin American Unicycle Convention and Championship) – 2019 Costa Rica (link)

F.      Anything else?

G.     Meeting Adjourned 11:15 EDT

13 May 2018

USA Board Meeting Agenda– May 20th, 2018

A.     Call Meeting to Order 10:00am EDT

In attendance: Mary Koehler, Patricia Wilton, Mark Atkinson, Aaron Johnson, Danielle Millett, Jill Cohen, Mike Schatz, Amanda Grzych, Wendy Grzych

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2018
    1. Status report and discussion. Help needed? Amanda
      1. All venues secured. Still don’t have budget from the gym.
      2. No program book, all info will be online or in app. If people want physical copies it will be printed on site.
      3. Tee shirts and awards are designed and being worked on.
      4. Age groups still yet to be formed.
      5. Will post directors on the site/app so people know who to talk to about their questions
      6. Amanda is unable to attend Naucc; she will appoint others to take over her role in her absence.
      7. Can use the registry to email freestyle competitors for deadline (same as late registration deadline).
  2.  Scholarship. Status of applications to-date (deadline is June 8th) and plans to form Scholarship committee? Amanda
    1. No applications as of yet. Messages from applicants wanting to apply but no steps have been taken. Put out a reminder?
  3. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC
    1. Will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019) Info
  4. Reduced membership rates for kids in the free/reduced school lunch program
    1. Membership site now updated for free membership application.
      1. Need to test if it has been used yet. Will not announce this program, but it’s on the website.
  5. USA Programs
    1. Coaching Program. Any coaching trips being planned? Patricia
      1. Dale is going to Seattle today.
      2. Rachel just got back from South Dakota.
  6. Non-USA club outreach
    1. Request to add all/any clubs here All
    2. USA promotion via other unicycle distributors. Results of initial investigation? Jill
      1. Too late for postcards to go out; UDC not willing to send them. Will bring them to MI.  There are ~150.
  7. USA club outreach
    1. USA hosted inter-club meetings.
      1. Next inter-club meeting in May 20th Danielle
    2. Facebook/Website/Media
      1. Currently scanning old Newsletters and OWW’s (1971 to 2009) to archive and make available to all on USA website Mark/Mike
        1. Still in the works, but many are already on the USA website.
    3. New USA Levels
      1. Proposed new flatland levels are here. Next steps? Dale
        1. The levels are mostly set in stone and will be tested in Seattle.
        2. Messaging the current manufacturer for freestyle patches to see if they have stock patches we could use.
        3. Some from Snoqualmie are interested in designing them.
        4. Mike Schatz will look into formatting and uploading them to the website.
        5. To be voted on next meeting.
      2. Unicon t-shirts
        1. Status of designs Mark/Jill
          1. No design as of right now. Reach out to Kyle Alviani?
          2. Plaid productions?
        2. Agree ownership and timeline to delivery Mark/Jill

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. Freestyle Levels
    1. IUF certification/re-certification requirements. Need to either align with IUF or make USA-specific. Patricia
      1. Waiting until next rulebook meeting.
    2. Updating Freestyle Level Cert cards Patricia/ Wendy
      1. Wendy will make them look like they’re from the 2000’s.
      2. Make the documents available online for people to print off?
    3. Recording of Levels on USA membership website All
      1. Each club is responsible for uploading their info.
      2. Currently not updated, people find it tedious.
      3. Make level entry system better, adding flatland levels, make the system work for clubs. Long term goals.
  2. Amazon Smile program
    1. Program donates 0.5% of purchase price to nominated charitable organization. USA is eligible as a beneficiary Info
      1. USA is registering for Amazon Smile, not announcing though.
  3. Open positions for 2019 USA Board
    1. Wendy to step down as Director in July – nominations for a replacement?
      1. Someone from South Dakota? (Not represented on the Board.)
      2. Another discussion was about whether to appoint Wendy to continue to do USA insurance with a USA Board member, or whether to just have a USA Board member take over insurance. Mark will decide.

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Mark Atkinson, President
  2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
  3. Dale Grzych, Secretary
  4. Mary Koehler, Treasurer
  5. Jill Cohan, Director
  6. Wendy Grzych, Director
  7. Aaron Johnson, Director
  8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
  9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
  10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
  11. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. ‘Ride a unicycle day’ – May 20.
    2. National Unicycle Week – May 20-26
    3. NAUCC 2018- July 8-14, Livonia, Michigan
    4. Unicon 19 – July 29- Aug 10 2019 Seoul, South Korea (link)
    5. LAUCC (Latin American Unicycle Convention and Championship) – 2019 Costa Rica (link)

F.      Anything else?

Next meeting between now and nationals? 24th of June? Doodle poll will be sent out.

G.     Meeting Adjourned

 

18 March 2018

USA Board Meeting Agenda– March 18, 2018

A.     Call Meeting to Order 10:00am EDT

In attendance: Dale Grzych Aaron Johnson, Danielle Millett, Jay Shaeffer, Mark Atkinson, Amanda Grzych, Jill Cohan, Wendy Grzych, Patricia Wilton, Aaron Johnson, Mary Koehler, Mike Schatz

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2019
    1. Proposal to host in Colorado Jay Shaeffer
      1. Vote for NAUCC 2019 to be in Colorado passed!
      2. No venues reserved as of yet.
      3. July 14-20th? 21-27th? Sunday – Saturday. Anything you can get in July!
      4. Aaron volunteered to be a liaison to assist Jay.
      5. Jay will come back next meeting and keep the board updated.
  2. NAUCC 2018
    1. Status report and discussion. Help needed? Amanda
      1. Adding a day of competition, and shifting events in the schedule.
      2. An email will be sent out regarding these changes.
      3. All venues are locked in.
      4. NAUCC 2018 will have an app on IOS and google play store. Printed copies of information booklets/schedule/maps would still be available for those who want it.
      5. Workshops will be added to schedule now that events are locked in.
      6. Need help locating equipment in Minnesota and figuring out transport to Michigan.
  3. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC
    1. Not for discussion – will be included with next Rulebook Committee (2019)
  4. Reduced membership rates for kids in the free/reduced school lunch program
    1. Membership site updates for free membership application Mike
      1. Currently being tested on the test server.
  5. USA Programs
    1. Coaching Program. Any coaching trips being planned? Patricia
      1. Rachel Sindelar is going to Black Hills sometime in May.
      2. Dale Grzych is going to Seattle May 14-16.
  6. Membership Initiative
    1. Non-USA club outreach
      1. Request to add all/any clubs here All
      2. Are postcards for NAUCC 2018 done? Jill
        1. UDC was not interested in swapping out postcards.
      3. USA promotion via other unicycle distributors. Results of initial investigation? Jill
        1. In the process of contacting other unicycle companies.
    2. USA club outreach
      1. USA hosted inter-club meetings.
        1. Feedback from inter-club meeting in Feb Danielle
          1. 4 groups in total. New club being formed in South Carolina?
          2. Another meeting in May and possibly one at NAUCC?
  7. Facebook/Website/Media
    1. Currently scanning old Newsletters and OWW’s (1971 to 2009) to archive and make available to all on USA website Mark/Mike
      1. Still in the process of being scanned.
  8. New USA Levels
    1. Add IUF standard skills to USA website near the USA freestyle levels!
    2. Proposed new flatland levels are here. Feedback from peer review at Mondo? Dale
      1. Dale received feedback and adjusted the levels accordingly. A group was formed to provide feedback and suggestions to adjust levels.
      2. The levels are in the final stages of being completed! They should be finished before next meeting.
      3. Rewards for passing a level? Patches? Stickers?
      4. Creating a video archive of each trick in the levels are being planned. No steps will be taken until the levels are finalized.
      5. Process of certifying level testers is currently being worked on.
      6. NAUCC workshop will be held to certify level testers.
  9. IUF Liaison
    1. Carol Bricker to step down. Proposal to have Patricia pick up this role.
      1. Patricia was voted in to pick up the role as IUF liaison.

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. Scholarship.
    1. Website has been updated with 2018 dates and forms. Kick-off and plans for fundraising in 2018? Amanda
      1. The scholarship applications will be opening soon. Website will also be updated soon.
  2. Freestyle Levels
    1. Feedback from Level Testers meeting? Patricia
      1. A lot of people showed up!
      2. Need a list of certified level testers for uniusa and clubs.
    2. IUF certification/re-certification requirements. Need to either align with IUF or make USA-specific. Patricia
      1. Bring it up at the next rulebook meeting?
  3. National Unicycle Week
    1. Time to start promoting this year’s official unicycle week! All
    2. Forms for annual renewal of entry in Chase’s Calendar of Events have been received. Need to be turned in by April 15th. Mark

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports
    1. Mark Atkinson, President
    2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
    3. Dale Grzych, Secretary
    4. Mary Koehler, Treasurer
    5. Jill Cohan, Director
    6. Wendy Grzych, Director
    7. Aaron Johnson, Director
    8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
    9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
    10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
      1. One new affiliated club in Michigan, they will be attending NAUCC, Davison Unicycle Club.
    11. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. Moab Muni 2018 – March 30- April 1 (link)
    2. LAUCC (Latin American Unicycle Convention and Championship) – April, Ecuador (link)
    3. ‘Ride a unicycle day’ – May 20.
    4. National Unicycle Week – May 20-26
    5. NAUCC 2018- July 9-14, Livonia, Michigan
      1. Changed from 9-14 to 8-14!
    6. Unicon 19 – July 29- Aug 10 2019 Seoul, South Korea (link)

F.      Anything else?

    1. T-shirts for Unicon?
      1. In the process of being worked on, nothing finalized.

G.     Meeting Adjourned