Category Archives: Meeting Minutes

24 September 2017

USA Board Meeting Agenda– September 24, 2017

A.     Call Meeting to Order 4:05pm EDT

In attendance: Jill Cohan, Patricia Wilton, Danielle Millett, Mary Koehler, Mark Atkinson, Wendy Grzych, Dale Grzych

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2017 wrap–up.
    1. Great job! Any lessons learnt?
      1. Several injuries this year. Have a plan in the event of an emergency in the future. Paramedics on site?
      2. Freestyle took longer due to more participants. Set judge time limit to save time.
  2. USA Programs
    1. Coaching Program. Any coaching trips being planned?
      1. No trips currently planned. Be more flexible with ?
  3. Membership Initiative
      1. Non-USA club outreach
        1. Ended with more clubs!
        2. Request to add all/any clubs here
        3. Postcards. How are UDC for stock? Time for a new design?
          1. Need more, UDC wants them smaller, new design. Approximately 1 month needed.
        4. National Unicycle Week and ‘Ride a unicycle day’. Application to Chase’s Calendar of Events for 2018 officially accepted. What can we do better next year?
          1. Skipped, will return to this topic in the future.
      2. USA club outreach
          1. USA hosted inter-club meetings. Feedback from initial meeting at NAUCC 2017? Is there support from clubs for ongoing meetings?
            1. Reverse coaching program suggestion.
            2. Club membership for USA?
            3. Pushing for more shared info between clubs.
          2. Several USA-affiliated clubs with no current USA members. Gym Dandies, Sebring and Supercyclers – are these going to be removed as affiliated clubs?
            1. Skipped, will return to this in the future.
  4. Facebook/Website/Media
    1. Facebook following growing steadily.
    2. Instagram account set up just before NAUCC. Activity has slowed.
    3. @uniUSAInc is a Twitter account set up in 2014. Anyone know who has the login details
      1. Ask Amanda for info.
    4. Direct email using MailChimp working, but need to clean/validate our email database in order to successfully reach our members
  5. New USA Levels
    1. USA freestyle levels not changing.
    2. Introduce new trials and flatland levels.
      1. Response for review committee participants at Annual Meeting?
      2. Agree rough timeline for having new levels drafted
        1. Putting off until interest is shown.
  6. Unicon 20 – IUF looking for applications to host. Proposals requested by end 2017.
    1. Germany is a possibility.

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. Discussion points raised by members at Annual Meeting
    1. Request for chart showing membership, revenue and expense
      1. Already exists.
    2. Reduced membership rates for kids in the free/reduced school lunch program
      1. Possible? Free? Ask Mike then vote at next meeting.
    3. Proposal to investigate renaming NAUCC – possibly combine with next Rulebook Committee?
      1. New name by 2019?
      2. Mark will bring suggestions to the board.
    4. NAUCC 2018
      1. Status report and discussion. Help needed?
        1. RTUC needs to appoint a liaison
    5. Freestyle Level Tester Meeting
        1. Can we get a certification meeting via Skype in the calendar between now and Christmas?
          1. October 8th. Emails will be sent out soon.
        2. Level Testing for Independent members
          1. Feasibility of allowing video submission for Level Testing?
          2. Possible if livestreamed? Added responsibility for coaches in the coaching program?
    6. Donated unicycles
        1. Five unis (various models/wheel sizes) donated by Lee Gerstle (Independent – Louisville, KY) shortly before his death. Lee’s intent was to donate them to a club. Need to agree how to fairly dispose of these assets.
          1. President will attempt to sell unicycles locally, then donate the rest. Proceeds will be used to buy new 20” unicycles for clubs starting out.
    7. Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports
      1. Mark Atkinson, President
      2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
      3. Dale Grzych, Secretary
      4. Mary Koehler, Treasurer
      5. Jill Cohan, Director
      6. Wendy Grzych, Director
      7. Aaron Johnson, Director
      8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
      9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
        1. Website is somewhat up to date. Add things for coaching?
      10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
      11. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. STOMP Munifest – October 6-8 (link)
    2. Moab Muni 2018 – March 30- April 1 (link)
    3. LAUCC (Latin American Unicycle Convention and Championship) – April, Ecuador (link)
    4. ‘Ride a unicycle day’ – May 20.
    5. National Unicycle Week – May 20-26
    6. NAUCC 2018- July 9-14, Livonia, Michigan
    7. Unicon 19 – July 29- Aug 10 2019 Seoul, South Korea (link)

F.      Anything else?

  1. Host for NAUCC 2019 bids in by January.
  2. Mention in USA club outreach meeting.

G.     Meeting Adjourned 5:16pm EDT

2017 USA Annual Meeting

USA Annual Meeting – July 19, 2017
North Bend Theater, North Bend, WA
Danielle Millet presiding.

A.      Call Meeting to Order: 6:15pm PDT

B.      Affirmation of Officers

  • President: Mark Atkinson
  • Vice President: Danielle Millett
  • Secretary: open
  • Treasurer: open
  • Director: open
  • Director: Jill Cohen (2 years remaining)
  • Director: Wendy Grzych (2 years remaining)
  • Director: Patricia Wilton (2 years remaining)

C.      Election of Officers

  • President: Mark Atkinson – moved, seconded, confirmed
  • Vice President: Danielle Millett – moved, seconded, confirmed
  • Secretary: Dale Grzych – moved, seconded, confirmed, voted, passed
  • Treasurer: Mary Koehler – moved, seconded, confirmed, voted, passed
  • Director: Aaron Johnson – moved, seconded, confirmed, voted, passed

Thanks to outgoing USA Board members: Kenny Cason (Secretary), Mike Schatz
(Treasurer/Membership), David Panofsky; for their time and support!

D.      Old Business

  • Non-USA Members and Club Outreach
    • Working to increase our base of USA members and affiliated clubs through direct contact and indirect (e.g. Flyers in unicycle.com shipments) – this is an ongoing activity
  • USA Club Outreach
    • Initiative for USA to hold regular get-togethers of USA-affiliated clubs to promote club feedback and interaction
    • Need representatives from each club ideally
  • Facebook/Website/Media
    • On One Wheel retired this year – replaced with more direct contact with USA members via email and indirectly via Facebook and Instagram
    • Ensure your email address is correct in the membership database to receive emails
    • Follow us on Twitter (@uniUSAInc) and Instgram (@uniUSAInc). Tag us on your photos (#unicycleUSA)
    • USA website activity and Facebook following both continue to steadily increase. USA Instagram recently created
    • Club information for distribution via USA social media welcomed!

E.      New Business

  • New USA Levels
    • Patricia Wilton is leading the committee; an email will go out to membership soon
    • Plan is to create new USA levels to cover disciplines other than Freestyle (i.e. Trials, Flatland, etc). Freestyle will eventually be one of the disciplines to be covered separately
    • Initial work will be to define new level structures for each discipline – to be organized similar to the Rulebook Committee
    • Will start with Trials and Flat for now, eventually expanding to other disciplines as
      the process becomes better understood
    • IUF Skill Levels won’t change, for historical and practical reasons
    • Need volunteers with experience in these disciplines to lend support – sign-up
      sheets will be available or contact the USA Board personally or via email
      (board@uniusa.org)
    • Note that expressing interest in these committees does not guarantee
      participation
    • USA Freestyle Level Tester meeting
    • Plan to hold certification meeting in early fall via Skype
  • Unicon 20
    • The IUF is accepting applications to host Unicon 20 in 2020. Proposals are requested by
      the end of 2017
    • Talk to Scott Wilton with any Unicon related questions

F.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  • President, Mark Atkinson
    • Reflecting on my first term as President, I’m pleased that the year has been marked by some by significant achievements.
      In the off-season we sponsored our first Coaching Program visits which were a huge success. Funding has been agreed to continue this initiative in 2018-19 so applications from affliated clubs are welcome. We also held our first annual ‘National Unicycle Week’ (3rd week of May) and ‘Ride a Unicycle Day’ (first day of ‘National Unicycle week’) and b Efforts by the USA to reach new members and clubs are ongoing and there will always be more to do in this area, but we are also starting work to help our existing USA-affiliated clubs interact on a regular basis.
      I’m also very excited to get to work on expanding the appeal of the USA levels to include urban disciplines so we have a progressive learning structure for these riders.
      Thanks to SVUC as our hosts of NUCC 2017, to the USA Board your continued support and to all of the USA members for helping promote and encourage unicycling!
  • Treasurer, Mike Schatz
    • Any ideas please send to Mike Schatz or Mark Atkinson
  • Affiliate Club Coordinator, Wendy Grzych
    • Reminder – only one USA member required to be an official club
    • Contact Wendy if you hear of non-USA clubs to bring into the fold
  • USA Scholarship Report, Amanda Grzych
    • I’d like to thank those that have donated to the scholarship committee this year – your donations are what keep this amazing program going. Our goal is to award those attending post-secondary schooling who have stepped up in the unicycling community as a role model and advocate for the sport. This year, the committee has received three applications, which is a great number!
      I’d like to remind you all that it’s not too early to start thinking about applications for next year as well. Keep in mind that we look for leadership at the national, international, and regional level. If you’re not sure where to start, feel free to ask any time!

G.      Upcoming Events

  • Unicon 19 in Seoul, South Korea from July 29 to August 10th, 2018
    • Registration will open soon
  • NAUCC 2018 in Livonia, Michigan hosted by Redford Township Unicycle Club
    • Dates TBD, probably the week after the 4th of July

H.      Open Discussion

  • Jim Sowers requested a chart showing membership, revenue and expense
  • It was suggested the Board consider reduced membership rates for kids in the
    free/reduced school lunch program
  • It was suggested the Board consider creating a committee to explore changing the name
    of NAUCC

    • Perhaps something more Public Relations friendly (more easily digested by uni
      muggles)
    • Canada and Mexico have their own competitions now, albeit limited
    • Are we really catering to North America

H.      Meeting adjourned at ????pm PDT

18 June 2017

USA Board Meeting Agenda– June 18, 2017

A.     Call Meeting to Order: 10:00am EDT

Attendees: Aaron Kinsella-Johnson, Patricia Wilton, Mark Atkinson, Jill Cohan, Kenny Cason, Mike Schatz, Danielle Millett

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2017
    1. Status report and discussion. Help needed?
      1. Venues are locked down, tweaking schedule, keeping web site up to date, budget under control, 200+ attendees so far, order in for ribbons and medals.
      2. 10k venue at slight risk because of government jurisdiction. Backup site identified.
      3. Insurance is good to go.
      4. Marathon Meeting: went very well. Will start on the other side of the tunnel, doesn’t have to be 26.2 miles but will be if you count the fun ride. AJ will post video of the trail.
      5. The schedule is jam packed!
      6. USA Board meeting likely Tuesday.
  2. USA Programs
    1. Coaching Program. Feedback from both coaches and clubs?
      1. No requests since the last two in January.
      2. Some affiliated clubs are unclear of their status, could be reached out to for participation. An email went out in March.
      3. Perhaps after nationals.
      4. Feedback will be shared with the board.
    2. Any more coaching trips planned in his financial year?
      1. Not at this time.
      2. Budget for next year: will vote after financial discussion
  3. Membership Initiative
    1. Non-USA club outreach
      1. Request to add all/any clubs here
        1. We have a list of clubs to contact, just need to do it. We are down a few clubs but still plenty out there.
        2. We likely need a person focused on this task. The Club Liason may not have time.
      2. Did UDC get the new stock of USA postcards?
        1. The quality of the new cards are very poor, don’t know why. The first batch was fabulous. Jill will talk with the printing company.
      3. Feedback re National Unicycle Week and ‘Ride a unicycle day’? Application to Chase’s Calendar of Events for 2018 officially accepted. What can we do better next year?
        1. TCUC got lots of good press!
        2. Some suburbs saw it in the media and are requesting a demo/class.
        3. RTUC ran a weekend of events, may not have gotten the word out as well since not as much publicity attracted. But it was fun!
        4. Could have a daily unicycle challenge on Facebook during the week.
        5. Send the press release template out to the clubs for their use.
        6. USA unicycle photo/video contest.
        7. Does UDC want to be involved (contest, sale, etc)?
      4. USA club outreach
        1. USA hosted inter-club meetings – update on status and plans for ongoing meetings
          1. In talks with Pam Dowling for talks at NAUCC. Working to insert it into the schedule. Danielle will reach out to members at NAUCC to attend.
        2. Several USA-affiliated clubs with no current USA members. Georgia Tech defunct and no response from Spanaway, Sebring (Ohio) and Supercyclers (Pittsburg) – need to update Club Map/Affiliated Club list.
          1. If we don’t hear something by the end of this month they may be removed from the list.
  4. Facebook/Website/Media
    1. Facebook likes and USA website hits are up
      1. Up over 300!
      2. We get a slight bump every time we send a direct email.
      3. May be reaching people, but not the right people.
    2. Direct email using MailChimp working, but need to clean/validate our email database in order to successfully reach our members
      1. 45%-55% open the email. Not many bounced addresses.
      2. This implies engagement from our members, especially when sent direct email.
      3. USA Web site gets decent traffic.
  5. OOW/Constitution/Bylaws Update
    1. Vote closes 15th June
    2. Nearly unanimous in favor!
  6. Scholarship Committee
    1. Deadline for applications 16th June. Plans to review applications?
      1. No applications received so far, but at least one in the works (maybe two).
    2. Nominations for Scholarship Committee members?
      1. Amanda has made a list of people she recommends.
    3. Plans for fund raising at NAUCC?
      1. Received a $500 donation last week!

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. USA meeting at NAUCC
    1. President will work on the agenda and presentation, but will not be there in person
      1. Hopefully can Skype in.
      2. Voting for new positions
  2. Open Board positions (for nominations and election at Annual Meeting) to be publicized prior to NAUCC
    1. Searching for candidates for all positions
      1. Treasurer
      2. Secretary
      3. Director
  3. Level testing
    1. Skype Level Tester meeting – when?
      1. Difficult to find a time at NAUCC
      2. Skype seems like the better option, perhaps late August
      3. Suggestion to hold a demo of the skills at NAUCC, perhaps video it, so people interested can at least see what the skills look like. Levels 1-7 would be priority. Jill and Pam need to talk about the schedule.
    2. Proposal to introduce USA levels for disciplines other than freestyle
      1. Several groups/people have created levels for other disciplines, but nothing formal or shared between clubs. (Hutchison Trials Levels, Dale’s flat levels, etc)
      2. The intent would be a formal structure for riders to work through, and link riders to USA.
      3. For distance, not so much about skills but mileage: similar to swimming there would be badges for achieving specific distances (10k, 50miles, 100miles, etc). Perhaps broken out by age.
      4. Jill will send Mark information on how swimming works. (gameification works!)
      5. For whatever discipline, “Level 10” should be a huge achievement attainable by only a few.
      6. Any levels should celebrate progression, even if within age group.
      7. Need to create a committee, perhaps start with trials and flat. If that goes well then progress to distance, track, muni, etc. Should be organically generated with buy-in from riders within that discipline.
      8. Once the committee has a plan, perhaps open it up to the greater community for feedback before formalizing and publishing/adopting.
      9. This will be on the agenda at NAUCC. It should be stressed that expressing interest does not guarantee participation in the committee.
  4.  Insurance
    1. Clarify USA membership and affiliated club requirements to be covered by USA insurance
      1. Do clubs need only one USA member to be covered?
      2. Only a few clubs request proof of insurance (for certain practice spaces, parades, etc).
    2. Opportunities to grow our insurance offerings to our members beyond basic liability?
      1. What about a discount at UDC? Too difficult to implement?
  5. Unicon 20 – IUF looking for applications to host. Proposals requested by end 2017.

D.     Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

    1. Mark Atkinson, President
    2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
      1. How did the mini-meet go?
        1. Flaming puck, flat comp, cyclocross, etc
        2. Unfortunately, terrible weather hindered participation
        3. Distance between clubs makes it difficult
        4. Virtual (video) mini-meets? Hmm… Send freestyle routine videos between clubs?
      2. Kenny Cason, Secretary
      3. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
        1. Running a deficit this year, but we have the funds to cover it. Expenses incured this year that are not typical.
        2. Mark proposes $1500 for the Coaching Program for next year. Patricia seconds. Voted and approved.
      4. Jill Cohan, Director
      5. Wendy Grzych, Director
      6. David Panofsky, Director
      7. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
      8. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
      9. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
      10. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. CMQ Urban – July 6-9, Montreal, Canada (link)
      1. Not an “official” competition this year, too expensive in Montreal
    2. NAUCC – July 16-22, Snoqualmie Valley (link)
    3. LAUCC (Latin American Unicycle Convention and Championship) – July 16-23, Mexico City (link)
      1. Urban riding only, no freestyle or muni
    4. EUC 17 Summer – July 18-24, Miskolc, Hungary (link)
    5. European Championship – July 27-Aug 6, Sittard-Geleen, NL (link)
    6. Unicon 19 – July 29- Aug 10 2019 Seoul, South Korea (link)

F.      Anything else?

G.     Meeting Adjourned: 11:32am EDT

 

23 April 2017

USA Board Meeting Agenda – April 23, 2017

A.     Call Meeting to Order

Attending: Kenny Cason, Mark Atkinson, Danielle Millett, Mike Schatz, Jill Cohan, Aaron Kinsella-Johnson

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2017
    1. Status report and discussion. Help needed?
      1. Venues secured, working on people & resources. Added a hotel. Pursuing sponsors.
      2. Working with Wendy on insurance as most venues require it.
      3. Excited!
      4. Action Item: Aaron to send a list of event coordinators so they can be added to the web site.
    2. Marathon Riders town hall meeting Sunday 30th April – details here: http://uninationals.weebly.com/marathon.html
  2. USA Rulebook Committee
    1. 2017 Rulebook is completed and published on the USA website
  3. USA Programs
    1. Coaching Program. Feedback from both coaches and clubs?
      1. Action Item: Would like to see feedback presented to the board/coaches so they can develop best practices?
    2. Membership Initiative
      1. Non-USA club outreach
        1. Request to add all/any clubs here
          1. Heard back from one Arizona club, they will poll their members about joining USA. More clubs to contact.
        2. UDC have run out – do we continue with this? Possibly focus on marketing benefits of USA insurance?
          1. UDC is almost out of cards (2500 printed)!
          2. Remove reference to On One Wheel from new cards.
          3. Proposal to print more cards, similar amount. Seconded and passed.
          4. Action Item: Order more cards
        3. Feedback re National Unicycle Week and ‘Ride a unicycle day’ http://uniusa.org/national-unicycle-week/
          1. Various clubs are doing various things, nothing coordinated currently but perhaps in the future.
          2. Every day is ‘Ride a unicycle day’!
      2. USA club outreach
        1. Proposal for USA to host regular inter-club meetings – comments?
          1. What is the best forum for meetings (in person, Skype, at NAUCC, etc)?
          2. Can share best practices, problems, solutions.
          3. Kickoff meeting at NAUCC (Danielle), perhaps start with “how can USA help you?”
          4. Action Item: Need to reach out to clubs so they are aware to attend.
        2. Several USA-affiliated clubs with no current USA members (Georgia Tech, Sebring, Spanaway and Supercyclers) – need to solicit membership renewal
        3.  Facebook
          1. As we enter riding season need regular, relevant posts – all/any welcome!
            1. Statistics show an uptick, but too small of a sample to be considered a trend.
        4. OOW/Constitution/Bylaws Update
          1. Process has started. Instructions for voting sent out 15th April.
          2. Reminder to check/correct email addresses in USA database in order to get a vote.
          3. Election Buddy ballot to be sent out 15th May.
        5. Scholarship Committee
          1. Status report. Any help needed?
            1. No applications received so far, but there seems to be a dearth of high school seniors this year.
            2. Are there any plans for increasing the scholarship fund?
          2. Nominations for Scholarship Committee members?

     

    C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

    1. Level tesing
      1. Skype Level Tester meeting – when?
      2. USA level patches – clarify who can purchase. USA clubs/members only (levels 1-5) and certified Level testers (all levels)?
        1. Action Item: Need clarification from Tim
      3. Unicon 20 – IUF looking for applications to host. Proposals requested by end 2017.

    D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

    1. Mark Atkinson, President
    2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
    3. Kenny Cason, Secretary
    4. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
    5. Jill Cohan, Director
    6. Wendy Grzych, Director
    7. David Panofsky, Director
    8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
    9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
    10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
    11. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

    E.      Announcements

    1. Upcoming Events
      1. RTUC Mini-Meet – May 19-21, Livonia, MI
      2. National Unicycle Week – May 21-28
      3. MadUni Summer Camps – June 12-16 and June  19-23 (link)
      4. CMQ Urban – July 6-9, Montreal, Canada
      5. NAUCC – July 16-22, Snoqualmie Valley (link)
      6. LAUCC (Latin American Unicycle Convention and Championship) – July 16-23, Mexico City (link)
      7. European Championship – July 27-Aug 6, Sittard-Geleen, NL (link)
      8. Unicon 19 – July 29- Aug 10 2019 Seoul, South Korea (link)

     

    F.      Anything else?

    G.     Meeting Adjourned

     

19 March 2017

USA Board Meeting Agenda – March 19, 2017

A.     Call Meeting to Order: 10:02 EST

Attending: Kenny Cason, Mark Atkinson, Danielle Millett, Mike Schatz, David Panofsky, Wendy Grzych, Aaron Kinsella-Johnson

B.      Old Business

        1. NAUCC 2017
          1. Status report and discussion. Help needed?
            1. Registration: 84 currently registered
            2. On track to pay for event in full
            3. Message going out to remind early registration closing soon, need help from USA for messaging. Aaron handling social media.
            4. Flyers going out via Unicycle.com
            5. Updates to accommodations page, Seattle area is expensive. L Camping is also available. Cottages available for groups, mostly up at Snoqualmie Pass.
            6. Venues secured for everything except Street and Flat.
            7. Registration at the North Bend visitor’s center
            8. North Bend Block Party on the last Saturday, participation perhaps
            9. Safety concerns for the marathon: town hall forum scheduled to address everyone’s concerns, like a riders meeting. Presenting plans ahead of time could allay fears. Date and Time will be forthcoming.
        2. USA Programs
          1. Coaching Program. Feedback from both coaches and clubs?
            1. Timber Lake was a huge success
        3. Membership Initiative
          1. Non-USA club outreach.
            1. Searching for new clubs. When found please put in the Google Doc. As officers we should reach out to them when possible.
          2. Postcards. Look great! Possible increase in website traffic?
            1. Uplift in website traffic, possibly related
          3. National Unicycle Week http://uniusa.org/national-unicycle-week/
            1. Applied for through Chase’s Book of Events, we will know soon whether approved. 21-27 May 2017!
            2. USA website has been updated and we have a logo
          4. Possible focus on promoting benefits of USA insurance?
            1. Important to a lot of people, likely our biggest benefit of membership.
        4.  Facebook
          1. As we enter riding season need regular, relevant posts – all/any welcome!
            1. Kenny will forward Facebook stats when he receives them
        5. USA Rulebook Committee
          1. Invitations for participation sent out in January
          2. Deadline for new adopting rules is four months prior to NAUCC
            1. Scott has asked for an extension
            2. Voted on and approved
        6. OOW/Constitution/Bylaws Update
          1. Amendments to be sent out via email with instructions for voting
            1. Proposal to accept the amended rules for USA
            2. Voted on an approved
          2. Need to agree voting procedure – could we use membership site?
            1. Trying to get to an email vote, but some don’t have email addresses (only 19). Effort will be made to contact teams to make sure their members have entered an email address.
            2. Email in March will be sent to announce the upcoming vote, to give members a chance to update their membership profiles.
            3. End of April we will use electionbuddy.com to do the vote
            4. 93 yay votes needed to pass, given current roles
            5. Proposal to spend up to $100 for use of electionbuddy.com
            6. Voted upon and passed.

C.      New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

              1. Skype Level Tester meeting – when?
              2. Scholarship Committee – kickoff this month
                1. Zero response from prior email asking for scholarship applications
                2. Official application letter going out this week
                3. People being considered for the committee
              3. Board meetings – schedule between now and NAUCC?
                1. Missed a December meeting this year
                2. Will have meetings in April and June
              4. Unicon 20 – IUF looking for applications to host. Proposals requested by end 2017.
                1. Anyone in USA interested in hosting?

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

              1. Mark Atkinson, President
              2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
              3. Kenny Cason, Secretary
                1. 3 year commitment is coming to an end
                2. Amanda is interested
              4. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
                1. Just restocked patches ($900+). That money eventually comes back.
                2. 3 year commitment is coming to an end
                3. Currently Mike handles membership and treasurer roles but those roles could be separated. Treasurer is a 3 year commitment, membership is an appointed position.
              5. Jill Cohan, Director
              6. Wendy Grzych, Director
              7. David Panofsky, Director
                1. 3 year commitment is coming to an end
                2. Trying to write up general instructions with how to travel with unicycles, especially flying.
              8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
                1. Lots of positive discussion in the new Freestyle Rules committee
              9. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
              10. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
              11. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

E.      Announcements

              1. Upcoming Events
                1. SW Muni Fest – March 18-19, Moab, Utah
                2. MadUni Muni Weekend – April 7-9, Black River Falls, WI
                3. RTUC Mini-Meet in Livonia, MI – May 19-21
                4. National Unicycle Week – May 21-28
                5. MadUni Summer Camps – June 12-16 and June  19-23 (link)
                6. CMQ Urban – July 6-9, Montreal, Canada
                7. LAUCC (Latin American Unicycle Convention and Championship) –July 16-23, Mexico City (link)
                8. European Championship – July 27-Aug 6, Sittard-Geleen, NL (link)
                9. Unicon 19 – July 29- Aug 10 2019 Seoul, South Korea (link)

F.     Anything else?

                1. Kenny: Does anyone have Gossi’s research on developing new Skill Levels, or how to contact him? Trying to contact him via email has failed, the email didn’t bounce but I heard nothing back.

G.     Meeting Adjourned: 11:12 EST

8 January 2017

USA Board Meeting Agenda – January 8, 2017

A. Call Meeting to Order: 12:14pm EST

a. Present: Kenny Cason, Mark Atkinson, Jill Cohan, Danielle Millett, Mike Schatz, David Panofsky, Wendy Grzych, Aaron Kinsella-Johnson

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2017
    1. Status report and discussion. Any help needed?
      1. Kickoff meeting today 5pm PST
      2. Reservations for gym done
      3. Locations in mind for all events
      4. Web site is currently being set up with Robin Dunlop
      5. SVUC as a club is highly involved
      6. Events run July 16th-23rd, the 15th is for travel
      7. Hospitality/Lodging TBD, Issaquah & Snoqualmie Pass are options. A new hotel being built in North Bend, may be ready in time.
      8. Marathon: pushing for using the Iron Horse Trail, Boston marathon qualifying trail. Alternative suggestions welcome.
      9. Need historic costs to set registration pricing. Typical top costs are medals and venues. Past budget are available
    2. USA equipment inventory and location tracker
        1. Track starter poles, extension cords, signage, canopies are already in Washington.
        2. Need printer, clipboards, hand timing watches
        3. RTUC and TCUC have watches, but need to be reminded to bring them
        4. Each event Point Of Contact will know what is required
        5. Flagging & barriers for cyclo-cross needed. Typically borrowed from a local organization.USA equipment inventory and location tracker
  2. USA Programs
    1. Coaching Program. Feedback on interest from both coaches and clubs?
      1. Rapid City, SD this weekend
      2. Timber Lake, SD on the 20th
      3. Budget is available for more coaching opportunities if requested
    2. STEP (Start-up Equipment Program). Need new committee head to lead this initiative.
      1. Still looking for nominations.
      2. Focused on brand new clubs
      3. Could be expanded to different disciplines
      4. Mike may be interested in heading
  3. Membership Initiative
    1. Progress on non USA club outreach
      1. Two new clubs are in process
      2. “How to start a club” – posted to web site by Wendy
      3. Wendy fields 5-6 new club related questions each year
      4. Mike is interested in working with Wendy to find/contact more new clubs
      5. A group in Alberta, Canada inquired. Wendy pointed them to a good contact. Not much we can do since USA insurance does not cover them.
      6. Danielle will contact a bike shop 50 minutes from her location who is interested (Thick Bikes?). They are a UDC dealer.
    2. Flyer for UDC shipments – status and feedback?
      1. Sent flyers to Amy at UDC. Need to confirm.
      2. Jill will follow up with Amy
  4. OOW/Facebook
    1. As we enter riding season need regular, relevant posts – all/any welcome!
      1. Please post any news or events as you become aware.
      2. OOW still without a chairperson. Any nominations?
      3. Our charter says we need to publish OOW. But is it no longer relevant in the current world of social media?
      4. Perhaps we can publish online (Facebook, etc) and satisfy our charter. Jill will ask Amy about getting a link or two on UDC’s web site, both USA and NAUCC.
      5. An email periodically from the USA president sounds like a great idea!
  5. IUF Rulebook Committees
    1. Have all invitations for participation have been sent out? Are all committees up and running?
    2. Up and running, very busy with discussions
    3. Last vote for proposals is mid January
    4. “Age Group” committee is a little awkwardly organized, not sure what is happening there
    5. If the new IUF rulebook is ready four months before NAUCC then USA will adopt it for this year. This is not a proposal, but just a reminder.
    6. Scott Wilton says a draft of the new IUF rulebook should be ready by February 1st.
    7. Scott volunteered to be the USA rulebook chairman.

C. New Business and 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)

  1. NAUCC 2018
    1. Wendy proposes RTUC (near Livonia), seconded by Mark
      1. Voting: universal approval
      2. Wendy will create a document to formalize the proposal
  2. Skype Level Tester meeting – February?
      1. Haven’t heard anything. Mark will check with Patricia
  3. Scholarship Committee – kickoff in March
      1. Amanda couldn’t make it
      2. Wants to do some outreach to get people on board
      3. Deadline is 90 days prior to NAUCC
  4. National Unicycle Week
    1. Encourage people to unicycle
    2. Retail/Publicity opportunity to pivot on
    3. Fourth week in May?
    4. Chase’s Calendar of Events: TBD
    5. National Day Calendar: application is in
    6. Perhaps pick a week and publish, seek forgiveness later if there is a conflict. Need a framework and send out a press release to retailers, manufacturers, press
    7. Will put a web page together.
    8. Jill will talk with Amy at UDC
  5. Advertising USA and NAUCC on UDC web site?
    1. Why not! Jill will talk with Amy.

D. Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Mark Atkinson, President
  2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
    1. Not getting vice president emails. Will check.
  3. Kenny Cason, Secretary
  4. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
    1. 769 members, pretty typical, healthy
    2. Financials look normal. New item for Coaching Program.
    3. Some clubs have requested individual members NOT renew on their own. They are currently set up this way. Causes confusion in some cases where someone joins USA then joins a club. Your mileage may vary.
    4. Reminder: once a member joins USA and is a member of a club they are covered by insurance, regardless about how they paid USA.
    5. Google Grants for Non-Profits: Gilby says they will give advertising grants based on certain criteria. Will look into it, add to New Business.
  5.  Jill Cohan, Director
      1. Amanda Breum Laursen  is coming to Madison for four months and helping with freestyle, etc
      2. Could Amanda be a USA Certified Coach even though she is a foreign rider?
      3. UNICON 19 in South Korea: should USA hire a translator?
        1. Will smart phone translators be sufficient?
        2. Cultural liaison may be required as well?
        3. Perhaps the UNICON organization committee has a recommendation
        4. Jill will talk with Patricia, our IUF liaison
        5. Mark will look into adding something about how to fly with unicycles to the USA web site. David will help do research.
  6. Wendy Grzych, Director
  7. David Panofsky, Director
  8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
  9. ???, OOW
  10. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
  11. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
  12. Amanda Grzych, Scholarship Committee Chair

E. Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. MONDO XXVIII – February 10-12, St. Paul, Minnesota
    2. LAUCC (Latin American Unicycle Convention and Championship) –July 16-23, Mexico City
    3. Madison Muni Weekend in early April
    4. Southwest Muni Weekend in March, Moab?
  2. Anything else?

F. Meeting Adjourned: 1:56 EST

11 September 2016

USA Board Meeting Agenda – September 11, 2016

A.     Call Meeting to Order: 12:01 EST

Present: Kenny Cason, Mark Atkinson, Patricia Wilton, Jill Cohan, Danielle Millett, Mike Schatz

B.      Old Business

  1. NAUCC 2016 wrap–up.
    1. Any lessons learnt?
      1. Directors need to be incredibly prepared, before the event. Yes, before the event.
      2. USA liaison needs to be in constant contact with the hosting organization and provide feedback and updates to the USA board. Having people in the loop with actual experience is invaluable.
      3. Continue strengthening the Google Docs event handbook, but experience trumps documentation.
      4. Inclusion of local participation adds excitement and promotes the sport. It helps all participants! Remember what it was like to attend your first NAUCC?
      5. Urban participation was low, probably because of Unicon, but need to keep an eye on it.
      6. Trials obstacles were particularly difficult given the skill levels of those who attended. Looking at the participant list should give direction on difficulty and if there should be a finals.
    2. UNICON 18 wrap-up.
      1. Celebrate the US successes! 2 World Champions – 15 Expert medals won (2 Gold, 12 Silver, 1 Bronze). Age group podium placements in various disciplines.
        1. Post experts on the USA Facebook page
        2. Add highlights to the USA web site
      2. Any lessons learnt?
        1. You can never have enough restrooms. Tru dat!
        2. Must have people at each event handling logistics and organizing the people, separate duties from the event director.
        3. There are questions about what the USA and IUF memberships provide to each member/club. There is a page on the USA web site that addresses this. Need to add information on our new programs. This is a recurring theme.
        4. There should also be information addressing benefits to the greater unicycling community in general (rider locator, etc).
      3. USA Programs
        1. Coaching Program. Application form is available on USA website.
          1. Currently using old USA letter head. Need to update.
          2. Patricia will send an email to the USA members to increase knowledge of this program.
        2. STEP (Start-up Equipment Program). Need new committee head to lead this initiative. Possible nominations?
          1. Information for the new committee lead is in Google Docs. Doesn’t have to be one person. Jill will take a look but no commitment at this time.
        3. Confirm budgets for 2016/17
          1. $5000 split between the two above programs already allocated. Nothing has been spent. Reassess next year at this time.
      4. Junior Officer Applications
        1. No applications received. Do we run this program in 2016/17?
          1. It’s challenging to feel engaged at a national level, especially in a virtual organization like USA.
          2. Table this for now, but possible areas for participation:
            1. Coaching program
            2. STEP
      5. OOW/Facebook
        1. Feedback from Annual Meeting?
          1. Not discussed.
        2. Discuss direction for both OOW and Facebook for this year
          1. OOW:
            1. Possible different format: what did you see on Facebook that was interesting? Summarize for those who missed it. What events are coming up? What are clubs up to in different areas of the country? Think “newsletter” instead of “novel”.
            2. This would be especially helpful for those who write the checks! Not everyone follows Facebook threads with any regularity. It could help justify to parents the investment in continued participation.
          2. Facebook:
            1. Need to post organically versus planned. Need more likes to build momentum.
            2. Patricia will make all USA board members able to post to the page. All board members should post as often as the muse inspires.
            3. Clubs should be encouraged to send info to USA board members to post. (events, parades, achievements, etc)

C.      New Business

  1. Objectives for 2016/17
    1. Membership: reach out to clubs that are not currently members
      1. Need a list of clubs
      2. Need volunteers to contact those clubs (Mike will organize, will coordinate with Wendy as the membership person)
      3. Mark will contact Amy Drummond at Unicycle.com to see if she is willing to include USA flyers in their shipments.
        1. Will have something ready for approval by next meeting, including a budget. Bennett Nestok (Harvard) is interested in providing content (cartoons, etc)
      4. National Unicycle Week? (when)
        1. Create a hash tag
        2. Newspaper/TV/Radio interviews
        3. Post a picture of you riding this week
        4. Post picture of clubs riding
        5. UDC and other retailers can use to promote
        6. Prompts us to draw attention to the sport and it’s benefits
      5. Need to get USA Rulebook amendments compiled and included in time for NAUCC. This is somewhat reliant on IUF Rulebook work but very doable regardless. Can work off the IUF draft if required.
      6. Successful NAUCC with our guidance and support. Success = organized and enjoyed by the vast majority.
      7. Choose a hosting club for NAUCC 2018.
    2. 90-day look ahead (USA annual calendar of events)
      1. Now: Garnering applications to host NAUCC 2018
      2. At least one more USA meeting before the end of the year (second week in December)
    3. NAUCC 2017
      1. Connie Cotter has volunteered to act as Board liaison. Any objections?
        1. Proposal was made and seconded. Approved.
        2. Make it so, engage!
      2. Possibly also invite NAUCC organizing lead to Board meetings for short report of status?
        1. SnoValley Unicycle Club – lead for NAUCC: Aaron Kinsella-Johnson
        2. Connie should also be included
        3. Direction: Board meetings, plus email status monthly or informal telecons
      3. USA equipment inventory and location tracker
        1. Need a list of what USA owns and where it is. Shawn is a good place to start. Connie should coordinate as liaison.
          1. Power cords
          2. Stop watches
          3. Track starting stands
          4. Canopies
          5. Safety vests
          6. Yada, yada, yada…
      4. IUF Rulebook Committee – Applications for participation open until 11th September
        1. For changes to the USA Rulebook this is the place to have your say.
        2. Example:
          1. Should muni cross country allow a “hike” uphill that constitutes more than half of the race? IMHO: This is a unicycling competition not a hiking contest.

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

  1. Mark Atkinson, President
    1. Invited to do a radio interview concerning unicycling for a station in California
  2. Danielle Millett, Vice President
  3. Kenny Cason, Secretary
  4. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
    1. Financials: more $$ than we had last month. Scholarship $$ is available for next year. Signs for NAUCC were paid for.
  5. Jill Cohan, Director
  6. Wendy Grzych, Director
  7. David Panofsky, Director
  8. Patricia Wilton, Director & USA Level Tester
    1. Also happy to be the IUF liaison! Everything is awesome; everything is cool when you’re part of a team. J
  9. ???, OOW
  10. Mark Atkinson & Mike Schatz, Webmasters
    1. Enabling email addresses for the eight USA voting positions
  11. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club & Insurance Coordinator
  12. Max Schulze, Scholarship Committee Chair
    1. Need a new chair for this position.
      1. Amanda is nominated and seconded.
      2. Voted and approved!

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. NAUCC 2018 – bids for host by Jan 2017
      1. RTUC is interested
  2. Anything else?
    1. Next Unicon is in Seoul, South Korea

G.     Meeting Adjourned: 13:45 EST

2016 USA Annual Meeting

USA Annual Meeting Agenda – July 11, 2016

A.      Call Meeting to Order: 6:04pm MDT

B.      Affirmation of Officers

  1. President:
    1. Nominated Mark Atkinson by Mike Schatz
    2. Second by Wendy Grzych
    3. Approved
  2. Vice President
    1. Nominated Danielle Millet by Patricia Wilton
    2. Second by Mike Schatz
    3. Approved
  3. Secretary
    1. Nominated Kenny Cason by Patricia Wilton
    2. Second by Mike Schatz
    3. Approved
  4. Treasurer
    1. Nominated Mike Schatz
    2. Second
    3. Approved
  5. Directors
    1. Nominated Patricia Wilton by David Panofsky
    2. Second
    3. Approved
    4. Nominated Wendy Grzych by Patricia Wilton
    5. Second
    6. Approved
    7. Nominated Jill Cohan by Patricia Wilton
    8. Second
    9. Approved

C.      Old Business

  1. Junior Officers
    1. Closing date for Junior Officer Applications is August 1.
    2. Applicants must be 14-18 years old by August 1, 2016
    3. Jr. Officers will now be a more competitive and specified position. The Board
      will give more direction to the officers.
  2. New Committees and Committee Updates
    1. Coaching Program
      1. Program is ready. Need to get more marketing out and need to spread
        the word. Give an overview of the program and its goals.
    2. STEP – Startup Equipment Program
      1. Program did not get finalized. Need a new committee head to launch
        for upcoming year. Give brief overview of program and goals. We have
        basic outlines for the program but need to make the more detailed
        items, like applications and scoring programs.
    3. Scholarship Program
      1. Financial update will be given by Mike. We can review how we’re record
        keeping for the sake of our 501(c)3 status (keeping applications and
        scoring, etc.) Keep in mind that donations are tax deductible. No
        eligible candidates applied this year so there are no recipients for 2016.
    4. Rulebook Committee
      1. Link to IUF skill levels on website. Accepted rulebook update.
      2. Wendy requests age groups get changed. An IUF committee has already
        been formed.
      3. To change rules it is best to get on an IUF committee, not USA, since
        USA rules default to IUF rules.
    5. Financial Overview
      1. Approximately $24k in the black, always a happy thing

D.      Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

    1. Amanda Grzych, President
      1. I’d like to say thank you for being able to be president for the past three years. Over the three years I’ve worked with some great Board members and I feel
        like we’ve accomplished a lot. This year alone we were able to launch the
        coaching program, create a rider locator, started a document on how to host
        nationals, created a timeline of the Board’s activity, we introduced several Jr.
        Officers to the Board, started a USA Facebook page, determined that keeping
        disciplines sectioned off at NAUCC is beneficial primarily for urban riders,
        created a GoogleDoc database to hold all of the Board’s important information,
        created general emails that are transferrable when officers change, created
        the NAUCC liaison position to assist hosts, and we’ve also learned that Skype
        doesn’t like meetings with more than 8 people! Overall it’s been a crazy year
        but we’ve had some great results. I look forward to watching the sport
        continue to grow and evolve.
    2. Patricia Wilton, Vice President
    3. Kenny Cason, Secretary
    4. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
      1. Feedback on the web site is encouraged
      2. Google Analytics has been helpful
    5. Mark Atkinson, Director
    6. Steven Walter, Director
    7. Mitch Wittenberg, Director
    8. David Panofsky, Director
    9. Richard & Rick Tharrett, OOW
    10. Mike Schatz, Webmaster
    11. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club Coordinator and Insurance Coordinator
    12. Max Schulze, Trials and Street Adviser/Coordinator and Scholarship Committee Chair
      1. No eligible candidates this year
      2. The program is healthy and will continue
    13. Patricia Wilton, USA Level Tester

E.      New Business

      1. OOW format will be changing
        1. We’ve determined that OOW should either be done exclusively through
          Facebook or a smaller newsletter that is sent via Mailchimp. Either way we
          think one of the Jr. Officers should take over this duty. We just want to see
          which idea is preferred, but without taking an actual vote.

F.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. Unicon 18, 2016 – Donostia/San Sebastian, Spain. Wednesday July 27 to Sunday
      August 7 2016
    2. NAUCC 2017 – Snoqualmie Valley Unicycle Club – Seattle, Washington
      1. Hotel is being built but may not be ready
      2. Housing is available in the nearby surrounding areas
      3. NAUCC 2017 will rock!

G.      Anything else?

    1. How-To docs are being moved to Google Docs so hosting information will be easier
      to access. Real people, real numbers.
    2. Applications to host 2018 will be accepted starting in December.

H.      Meeting adjourned at 6:35pm

12 June 2016

USA Board Meeting Agenda – June 12, 2016

A.     Call Meeting to Order: 12:05pm EST

Attending: Amanda Grzych, Patricia Wilton, Kenny Cason, Mike Schatz, Mark Atkinson, Mitch Wittenberg

B.     Old Business

  1. USA Programs
    1. Club Outreach
      1. Make major clubs aware so they can spread the word to those who contact them.
      2. Do we need to contact clubs individually? Seems likely. Good first step after Nationals.
      3. Also get it up on the web site. Amanda will edit the text.
    2. STEP Program
      1. Kinda on hold for now.
  2. Rider Locator
    1. Bring up at Nationals, but limited sample of riders there.
    2. Perhaps a check box for members to give permission, but have the ability to opt-out.
    3. This should be a benefit of membership.
  3. NAUCC 2016 Concerns
    1. South Dakota people are beginning to register now.
    2. Scheduling conflicts are being resolved, but there are still concerns.
      1. Track events take longer than typically allotted.
      2. Amanda will inquire if the track can be reserved longer, and start earlier.
    3. Expert t-shirts: need to vote whether USA pays for them.
      1. Patricia proposes $450, seconded by Mark. Approved.
  4. How to run NAUCC
    1. Patricia has shared all docs (budget, etc) she has with SVUC for 2017.
    2. The Nationals liaison should be given access to all docs available.
    3. Perhaps a Google Docs drive to hold the docs for archiving and sharing.
    4. Separate email addresses will be created for each position in the USA organization. This keeps personal and business emails separate plus fosters continuity when people change positions.
  5. Timeline of Board Activity
    1. Gathering calendar items and getting them organized.
    2. Will be posted to Google drive when in better shape.
  6. Directors Review
    1. Feedback: The Jr. Directors like the program.
    2. They need distinct goals instead of a broad request. For example: publish one tutorial video per month, versus “go post on Facebook”.
    3. Too many people to keep busy, and 6 months is too short a time to get them properly involved. Recommend limitting the number of JDs and extend their time.
    4. The new board should choose the new JDs, but applications for those positions should be made available by the old board, preferably before Nationals each year.

C.     Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports

    1. Amanda Grzych, President
    2. Patricia Wilton, Vice President
    3. Kenny Cason, Secretary
    4. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
      1. Financials have been distributed to the board.
      2. Insurance payment due this month.
      3. Membership numbers continue to be healthy.
    5. Mark Atkinson, Director
      1. Updating the web page to reference the IUF Skill Levels.
    6. Mitch Wittenberg, Director
      1. Still has a handful of 2014 Expert t-shirts for riders who qualify. Posted this on Facebook.
      2. No response so will post again, plus an email.
    7. David Panofsky, Director
    8. Steve Walter, Director
    9. Grace Luccio, Jr. Director (shadow president)
    10. Nick Braun, Jr. Director (social media & advertising)
    11. Walker Orner, Jr. Director (urban riders)
    12. Rachel Sindelar, Jr. Director (social media & advertising)
    13. Owen Farmer, Jr. Director (social media)
    14. Shelley Kovacic, Jr. Director (advertising & design)
    15. Richard & Rick Tharrett, OOW
    16. Scott Wilton & Mike Schatz, Webmaster
      1. Need new JD application to post to the web site.
    17. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club Coordinator
    18. Wendy Grzych, Insurance Coordinator
    19. Max Schulze, Trials and Street Adviser/Coordinator and Scholarship Committee Chair
      1. Only one application received so far.
      2. Max won’t be at Nationals so may need to meet virtually.
    20. Danielle Ross, Beginner Rider Chairperson
    21. Patricia Wilton, USA Level Tester
      1. No workshop at Nationals this year, Skype is working well.

D.     New Business

  1. NAUCC Annual Meeting
    1. Amanda won’t be there (slacker!) so Patricia will run the meeting.
    2. Need a simplified financials slide.

E.      Announcements

    1. Upcoming Events
      1. Unicon 2016
        1. T-shirts are nearly ready for ordering. Will allocate $15 to buy Kyle Alviani a t-shirt since he designed them but is not attending.
        2. Online registration closes in four days!
      2. NAUCC 2016

F.      Anything else?

    1. We want representation in the IUF but are still working out what that means.

G.     Meeting Adjourned

24 April 2016

USA Board Meeting Agenda – April 24, 2016

A.     Call Meeting to Order: 12:05pm EST

Attending: Kenny Cason, Amanda Grzych, David Panofsky, Mitch Wittenberg, Mike Schatz, Mark Atkinson, Wendy Grzych

B.     Old Business

  1. USA Programs
    1. Getting started, forms for clubs and coaches for Certified Coaches have been developed.
  2. Rider Locator
    1. You can see there is somebody there, but can’t identify them.
    2. Option: have users log into the membership site to identify riders found in specific locations. Members might be wary of security concerns so feedback will be sought.
  3. Urban Update – sectioning NAUCC by discipline
    1. Summary: discussion about globbing all urban events into a specific time frame so urban riders can compete but not get stuck attending NAUCC all week.
    2. We have little control. The rulebook is what actually has teeth.
    3. Not sure if possible changes should be enforced or recommended. At least a recommendation could be made to the rulebook committee.
  4. 2016 open Board positions
    1. Mark is willing to run for President (for good or bad).
    2. A vice-Presidential candidate is also known (see Mark).
  5. Bylaws for waiver
    1. There is no waiver currently in place that covers the board or USA.
    2. USA has Directors & Officers insurance for the board, and any board of an affiliated club.
    3. Could add a waiver to the membership web page that a member has to click on to agree. Would simplify the process. Wendy will send wording for the waiver.
  6. Current Board Members’ and Chairpersons’ Reports
    1. Amanda Grzych, President
    2. Patricia Wilton, Vice President
    3. Kenny Cason, Secretary
      1. SnoValley Uni (SVUC) is holding a clinic May 14th in North Bend, WA. Checkout their web site for details.
      2. Most teams will accept event notices to be included in their newsletters!
      3. Next year we need to discuss better communication with USA membership. Newsletter, app, web site, carrier pigeon, OOW, Facebook, Twitter, …? Good agenda item for the annual meeting.
      4. One challenge is getting input from clubs on news. It doesn’t have to be lengthy, just enough to show activity.
      5. Perhaps an abbreviated version of OOW using Mailchimp?
    4. Mike Schatz, Treasurer
      1. Financials look great!
    5. Mark Atkinson, Director
      1. Rulebook: IUF dropped skill levels from the rulebook and moved them to a separate document. Since USA adopts the IUF rulebook the skill levels are missing from the new USA rulebook.
      2. The USA rulebook should point to the IUF skill levels document.
        1. Mark proposes USA adopts the IUF skill levels.
        2. David seconds. The proposal passed unanimously.
      3. Wendy proposes USA continues to align with IUF skill levels. The IUF is considering major changes to the skill levels. Details TBD.
      4. Separate issue: working on a document detailing what typically goes on with USA in a yearly timeframe. Will send out for feedback.
        1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pqChWPGK2kjM0HIUgM8FQTp9QSEeqi-2mSFtVh9YyiU/edit?usp=sharing
    6. Mitch Wittenberg, Director
    7. David Panofsky, Director
      1. A framework for hosting NAUCC planning is in the works. Input on Best Practices is strongly encouraged from USA membership (budget, events, scheduling, venues, etc.).
      2. There is already a link on the USA web site concerning hosting, but this is an attempt to improve the documentation.
      3. Will give the board permission to read the current draft for review. Input/feedback is encouraged! Please share with people you know might have feedback.
      4. April 29th-31st, MadUni offroad event!
    8. Steve Walter, Director
    9. Grace Luccio, Jr. Director (shadow president)
    10. Nick Braun, Jr. Director (social media & advertising)
    11. Walker Orner, Jr. Director (urban riders)
    12. Rachel Sindelar, Jr. Director (social media & advertising)
    13. Owen Farmer, Jr. Director (social media)
    14. Shelley Kovacic, Jr. Director (advertising & design)
    15. Richard & Rick Tharrett, OOW
    16. Scott Wilton & Mike Schatz, Webmaster
    17. Wendy Grzych, Affiliate Club Coordinator
    18. Wendy Grzych, Insurance Coordinator
      1. Getting new certs ready for the new insurance cycle (July 1-July 1).
      2. The new underwriter is slowing things down, will get up to speed.
    19. Max Schulze, Trials and Street Adviser/Coordinator and Scholarship Committee Chair
    20. Danielle Ross, Beginner Rider Chairperson
    21. Patricia Wilton, USA Level Tester

D.     New Business

  1. Concerns about NAUCC 2016
    1. The list of competitors only shows 1 from the host club.
    2. Why are we paying for the gym when it is gratis?
    3. Small turnout expected this year, will probably break even.
    4. Why aren’t the South Dakota people paying for registration? There may be a good reason but we need more transparency.
    5. Scheduling questions: the 10k and Criterium seem to infringe on timing for other events.
  1. NAUCC 2017 Hosting Apps
    1. One application received: from SVUC.
    2. Amanda will look up the process to approve and notify the board.

E.      Announcements

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. Unicon 2016
    2. NAUCC 2016
  2. Anything else?

G.     Meeting Adjourned: 12:56pm EST