In 10 Easy Steps:
Step 1: Attend a NAUCC and read over the USA Rulebook.
Step 2: Create a NAUCC Committee to help with planning. Expect to meet at least monthly during the planning phase.
Step 3: Consider your venues.
The required events include:
- Track Racing – 400 meter track venue (indoor or outdoor) with at least 6 lanes with metric measurements
- Road Racing – outdoor, rider-safe paths/roadways, generally 10k and full marathon
- Muni (Mountain Unicycling) – generally held on mountain bike trails that offer varying lengths and difficulty
- Freestyle – indoor gym with a second gym for practice
- Flatland – 11m X 14m smooth, cement outdoor area with additional space for spectators and judges
- Trials – large outdoor area which provides plenty of room for multiple obstacles
- Team Games – basketball (multiple courts) and hockey (multiple rinks)
Step 4: Select NAUCC dates based upon venue availability AND the following guidelines:
- On Unicon years (even numbered years), early- to mid-July
- On non-Unicon years (odd numbered years), late July
* Note that registration numbers are generally much higher on non-Unicon years; therefore it is recommended that new hosts choose non-Unicon years in which to host.
Step 5: Contact the USA Board with your intent to host ~1.5 years prior to the desired host date. Ask for a USA liaison to oversee all aspects of planning. Prepare a short presentation for USA members, and be prepared to present your basic plans (possible dates/venues, for example) at the NAUCC prior to the desired host date.
Step 6: Work with USA liaison to create a budget and registration fees.
- The USA, Inc. can establish a startup fund for any NAUCC, if requested, as some venues require payment prior to NAUCC registration.
- Create a timeline for registration dates, staffing, and materials.
Step 7: Create a NAUCC website that offers NAUCC registration payments.
Step 8: Find (or ask the USA to find) experienced folks for the following roles:
- Food availability during events
- Program Book
- Fun rides
- Final Dinner/Awards Ceremony/Raffle/Public Show
- NAUCC Logo for T-shirts and Awards
Step 9: One or 2 months prior to NAUCC:
- Order awards and T-shirts/merchandise
- Secure insurance certificates
- Finalize final dinner, lodging, program book, etc.
- Be sure all officials are in place
Step 10: Just prior to NAUCC and during NAUCC:
- Handle all emergencies; expect to drop-the-ball a few times. (No one is perfect.) When a crisis arrives, contact the USA liaison.